The BIS counselors are Mari King (last names A-J) and Jennifer Ibos (last names K-Z). Each of the counselors has a master's degree in Counseling and a Pupil Personnel Services Credential. Our counselors work with the school community to provide guidance, expertise and support to our students and their families. In addition, as WEB (Where Everyone Belongs) coordinators, RTI (Response to Intervention) collaborators, and participants of School Site Council, throughout the year the counselors facilitate several meetings to discuss student progress and organize activities to enhance school climate.
STUDENTS: Stop by the main office or ask permission from your teacher. If the counselor is unavailable, please fill out a request form and they will contact you to set up an appointment.
RTI(RESPONSE TO INTERVENTION)/ STUDENT SUPPORT
- Counseling students, as needed, in the areas of Academic and Social/Emotional development, as well as Peer Mediation and personal struggles.
- Collaborating weekly with teacher teams to help identify struggling students and discuss needed supports.
- Meeting individually each trimester with students who scored Below Basic/Far Below Basic on the 2012 CST to set goals and review success.
- Researching ideas/topics for possible support groups to be offered at BIS.
WEB (Where Everybody Belongs)
- Guiding an 8th grade WEB planning committee after school on Mondays and Wednesdays to organize the upcoming 6th grade Amazing Race.
- Meeting every Monday during lunch with Club WEB to plan school-wide activities.
- Designing lunchtime activities for all students connected to our THINK with your Heart theme. Our second THINK week begins today and will incorporate lunchtime activities and KBIS videos focused on the prevention of Gossip/Rumors.
- Coordinating future assemblies around the topics identified in this years' School Site plan.
- Highlighting Students of the Month on KBIS and providing them with a celebration during recess.
- Researching lunchtime activities/performances that aligned with our District adopted Heritage months.